If you are a special education math instructor, there’s still time to apply for an elementary math endorsement scholarship. The deadline for this year is Oct. 31.
Purpose: To provide support for special educators to improve their mathematics content knowledge and to further support students with disabilities to improve mathematics outcomes.
Who can apply: LEAs to support special educators, currently teaching or coteaching mathematics classes’ grades k-6.
Candidates for this scholarship should be:
- A special education teacher working towards an Elementary Mathematics Endorsement OR
- A special education teacher taking classes (approved USOE courses*) to improve/build skill in elementary mathematics content area, but not necessarily earn an endorsement.
- LEA submits completed application to Janet Gibbs. The application process will remain open from August 30-October 31, 2012 or until all money has been allocated.
- Application reviewed by USOE/Special Education Section and Teaching and Learning Section.
- Selected LEAs will be notified as soon as application is reviewed.
- Reimbursement to LEA will be made when teacher name(s), grade(s), and course(s) are submitted to USOE/SPED.
- LEA will be reimbursed for money paid out to teachers as stipend, pay for textbooks or to support university registration fees.
- Teachers will not be reimbursed through USOE.
- Teacher who is supported by this scholarship money must pass course with C or better (either university or district based course).
- Course(s) eligible for reimbursement must the courses approved by USOE Teaching and Learning Section.*
- This money is to support special educators. Supplies, curriculum or paying for a general educator to access courses is not an appropriate use of the funds.
- NOTE: Funding will be for one fiscal year, 2012-13. Please plan Accordingly.
For a copy of the application go to http://www.schools.utah.gov/sars/DOCS/grants/2012mathschlshp.aspx .
For any other information on special education resources visit http://www.schools.utah.gov/sars/