Utah’s 2013 MLK Essay and Video Award Winners Named
The Utah State Office of Education today announced the winners for the state’s 29th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay and Video contest.
The contest is open to all seventh through 12th grade students in the state. There were 645 essay entries and 12 video entries to this year’s contest. The winners were announced at a luncheon held in their honor at the Canyons School District Student Support Center in Sandy.
The winners were chosen by a committee from the Utah State Office of Education. Each winning entry was given a $50 cash prize from the Utah State Office of Education, a $50 gift card from Smith’s Food and Drug, and a Martin Luther King, Jr. pin from the Davis School District.
Overall junior and senior high winners received an additional $50 cash award from the state office and a full scholarship to Camp Anytown from the Inclusion Center. This year’s contest is made possible through donations from Smith’s Food and Drug, the Utah Inclusion Center, Purely Linens Tables & Chairs, Red Onion Catering, and the Davis School District.
The essay winners are:
- Seventh Grade: Jay Orten from Juab Junior High in the Juab School District; Orten is also the overall essay prize winner for junior high students.
- Eighth Grade: Pacian Garrett from Kearns Junior High School in the Granite School District.
- Ninth Grade: M. Shelem Hatch from Gunnison Valley High School in the South Sanpete School District.
- 10th Grade: Nicole Chang from Park City High School in the Park City School District.
- 11th Grade: Jordyn Spiller from Alpine Academy in Erda.
- 12th Grade: Mckay Holbrook from Woods Cross High School in the Davis School District. Holbrook is also the overall essay prize winner for high school students.
The video winners are:
- Seventh Grade: Kurt Memmott from Juab Junior High in the Juab School District.
- Eighth Grade: Helena Rodriguez from Clayton Middle School in the Salt Lake City School District; Rodriguez is also the overall winner for junior high.
- Eighth Grade: Tyce Peterson from Syracuse Arts Academy, a Davis County charter school.
- 10th Grade: Taylor Dillon, Carolyn Hammon, Daisy Mele and Matthew Roberts from Woods Cross High School in the Davis School District.
- 12th Grade: Mikinley Weaver and Valerie Morgan from Woods Cross High School in the Davis School District; Weaver and Morgan were also the overall high school video winners.
- 12th Grade: Bradan Jones, Kaitland Garner, Veronica Hanna, and Kaleb Christensen, also from Woods Cross High School in the Davis School District.