The Utah State Board of Education will hold a work/study session on Thursday, Dec. 5 and its regular meeting on Friday, December 6 at the Utah State Office of Education, 250 E. 500 South, Salt Lake City. The complete agenda along with more information about agenda items can be found here. Friday’s Board meeting, though not Thursday’s work/study session, will be streamed live here. Shortly after the end of the meeting a summary of major action taken by the Board will be posted here.
Highlights of this Board meeting include:
- Election of a Board chair and up to three vice chairs.
- Reviewing potential revisions to the Utah Professional Practices Advisory Commission process.
- Consideration of an amendment to Board rule to allow career and technical education teachers who do not hold a bachelor’s degree access to licensure through the alternative routes to licensure path.
View the complete Board agenda.
UTAH STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
Thursday, December 5, 2013
3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
1. Executive Session (closed)
4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
2. INFORMATION: Training on Utah Open Meetings Act and the Government Records Access and Management Act (GRAMA)
5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
3. INFORMATION: Employer/Employee Relations
UTAH STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
Friday, December 6, 2013
7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
1. Instruction, Assessment and Technology Committee
1st Floor South Conference Room 156
ACTION: R277-503 Licensing Routes and R277-518 Career and Tab 1-A
Technical Education Licenses (Amendment)
ACTION: R277-528 Use of Public Education Job Enhancement Program Tab 1-B
(PEJEP) Funds (New), and R690-100 Public Job Enhancement Program,
Job Enhancement Committee (Repeal)
8:15 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.
2. Opening Business/Recognitions
• Pledge of Allegiance
• Board Member Message
• Recognition of outgoing Board members
• Light of Learning Award
• Promises to Keep Highlight
8:45 a.m. to 8:55 a.m.
3. Public Participation/Comment
Priority shall be given to those individuals or groups, who, prior to the day of the meeting, have submitted a request to address the Board. Sign-up is available the day of the meeting before 8:30 a.m.
8:55 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
4. ACTION: General Consent Calendar (Backup furnished electronically) Tab 4
9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
5. DISCUSSION/ACTION: Review of Professional Practices Issues Tab 5
9:35 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
6. ACTION: Board Professional Practices Hearing (closed) Tab 6
11:00 a.m. to 11:10 a.m.
11:10 a.m. to 11:20 a.m.
7. ACTION: UPPAC Recommendations Tab 7
11:20 a.m. to 11:35 a.m.
8. ACTION: Board Election Procedures Tab 8
11:35 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.
9. ACTION: Board Leadership Elections
11:50 a.m. to 12:05 p.m.
10. ACTION: Instruction, Assessment and Technology Committee Report
12:05 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
11. Lunch / Executive Session
1:30 p.m. to 1:40 p.m.
12. ACTION: Executive Session Items
• UPPAC Recommendations
1:40 p.m to 2:10 p.m.
13. INFORMATION: Report from Attorney General’s Office Tab 13
2:10 p.m. to 2:25 p.m.
14. INFORMATION: Superintendent’s Report
2:25 p.m. to 2:40 p.m.
15. ACTION: Legislative Update Tab 15
2:40 p.m. to 3:10 p.m.
16. INFORMATION: Chair’s Report