Utah State Board of Education
Meeting Agenda for
August 7 Work/Study Session and August 8 Regular Board Meeting
The Utah State Board of Education will hold a work/study session on Thursday, August 7 at the Utah State Office of Education, 250 E. 500 South, Salt Lake City. The complete agenda along with more information about agenda items can be found here. Thursday’s work/study session will focus on standards setting and no action will be taken during the meeting. Both full Board meetings will be streamed live here, but only the full Board meeting on Friday will be streamed. Committee meetings will not be streamed. Shortly after the end of the meeting a summary of major action taken by the Board will be posted here.
Highlights of the Board meeting include:
- A decision on whether Utah will apply for an extension to its federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act flexibility waiver.
- Direction on proficiency standards for Utah’s new SAGE tests.
- Consideration of criteria for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Schools in concert with new legislation.
- Consideration of funding recommendations for school sites to deal with problems associated with intergenerational poverty.
View the complete Board agenda.
UTAH STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
WORK/STUDY SESSION AGENDA
NO ACTION WILL BE TAKEN AT THIS MEETING
6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, August 7, 2014
1. DISCUSSION: Standards Setting – Tab 13
Jon Cohen, American Institutes for Research (AIR)
UTAH STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
BOARD MEETING AGENDA
Friday, August 8, 2014
1. BOARD STANDING COMMITTEES
7:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
2nd Floor North Conference Room 241
ACTION: Proposed Revised FY 2015 Discretionary Budget Tab 1-A
ACTION: Proposed Review of Budget Calendar Tab 1-B
ACTION: Taxing Entity Committee to the Redevelopment Agency of the Tab 1-C
City of Salina Tipperary Industrial Park Economic Development
ACTION: R277-471 Oversight of School Inspections (Amendment and Tab 1-D
ACTION: R277-422-4 State Supported Voted Local Levy, Board Local Tab 1-E
Levy and Reading Improvement Program – Reading Achievement
INFORMATION: Indirect Cost Pool Tab 1-F
INFORMATION: Outcome of Taxing Entity Committee Meeting Tab 1-G
8:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
Law and Licensing Committee
Basement West Conference Room
ACTION: STEM Schools Tab 1-H
ACTION: R277-504 Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary, Special Tab 1-I
Education (K-12), Communication Disorders, Speech-Language Pathologist
and Speech-Language Technician, and Preschool Special Education
(Birth-Age 5) Licensure (Continuation and Repeal/Reenact)
ACTION: R277-506 School Psychologists, School Social Workers, and Tab 1-J
School Counselors Licenses and Programs (Amendment and Continuation)
ACTION: Spectrum Academy Charter Amendment Request Tab 1-K
ACTION: Hawthorn Academy Charter Amendment Request Tab 1-L
ACTION: Utah State Office of Rehabilitation Quarterly Report Tab 1-M
ACTION: Utah State Board of Education Bylaws Tab 1-N
ACTION: Grant Reviewer Funding Recommendations for the Implementation Tab 1-O
of S.B. 43 Intergenerational Poverty Interventions in Public Schools
8:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
Standards and Assessment Committee
1st Floor South Conference Room 156
ACTION: Standard Test Administration and Testing Ethics Policy Tab 1-P
ACTION: R277-800 Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind (Continuation Tab 1-Q
ACTION: R277-404 Requirements for Assessments of Student Achievement Tab 1-R
DISCUSSION: Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind Quarterly Report Tab 1-S
ACTION: SAGE University Study Tab 1-T
10:30 a.m. BOARD MEETING
10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
2. Opening Business
• Pledge of Allegiance
• Board Member Message
• Introduction of new employees
10:45 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.
3. ACTION: General Consent Calendar (Backup furnished electronically) Tab 3
10:50 a.m. to 11:20 a.m.
4. Public Participation/Comment
All slots for public comment have been filled for this meeting. You are welcome to
send written comment to the Board at email@example.com.
11:20 a.m. to 12:35 p.m.
5. ACTION: Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Flexibility Waiver Tab 5
12:35 p.m. to 12:40 p.m.
6. ACTION: Utah Professional Practices Advisory Commission Recommendations Tab 6
12:40 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
7. LUNCH/EXECUTIVE SESSION
2:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
2:15 p.m. to 2:25 p.m.
8. ACTION: Executive Session Items
• UPPAC Recommendations
2:25 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
9. ACTION: FY 2015 Board Budget Priorities Tab 9
2:45 p.m. to 2:55 p.m.
10. ACTION: Resolution on Local Control of Curriculum Tab 10
2:55 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
11. DISCUSSION/ACTION: Board Legislative Priorities Tab 11
4:15 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
12. ACTION: Standing Committee Reports
• Law and Legislation
• Standards and Assessment
4:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
13. ACTION: Standard Setting Tab 13
5:00 p.m. to 5:10 p.m.
14. INFORMATION: Superintendent’s Report
5:10 p.m. to 5:20 p.m.
15. INFORMATION: Board Chair’s Report
5:20 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
16. INFORMATION: Board Member Closing Comments