Utah State Board of Education Agendas
for April 9 Study Session and Committee Meetings
and April 10 Board Meeting
The Utah State Board of Education will hold a study session and its committees on Thursday, April 9 and its full Board meeting on Friday, April 10 at the Utah State Office of Education, 250 E. 500 South, Salt Lake City. The complete agenda along with more information about agenda items can be found here. Thursday’s study session and Friday’s meeting will be streamed live here. Thursday’s committee meetings will not be streamed. Shortly after the end of Friday’s meeting a summary of major action taken by the Board will be posted here.
Highlights of the Board meeting include:
- Release of the draft Grades 6-8 Science Standards for public review.
- Possible approval of six new charter schools for the 2016-17 school year.
- Review of 2015 legislation that will affect public schools, including provisions for student privacy.
View the complete Board agenda.
UTAH STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
April 9-10, 2015
Thursday, April 9, 2015
3:00 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
1. INFORMATION: USOE Online Management Budget Report Training
3:45 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
2. INFORMATION: Parliamentary Procedures Training
4:45 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
3. BOARD COMMITTEE MEETINGS
1st Floor Conference Room 156
DISCUSSION/ACTION: Update on USOR Fiscal Issues Tab 3-A
DISCUSSION/ACTION: USOE and Discretionary Fund Quarterly Tab 3-B
DISCUSSION/ACTION: FY 2016 USOE/USDB Budget Process Tab 3-C
DISCUSSION/ACTION: Status of Indirect Cost Rate Process Tab 3-D
ACTION: Taxing Entity Committee Representatives Tab 3-E
DISCUSSION/ACTION: Pupil Accounting Tab 3-F
DISCUSSION/ACTION: Training on Finance and Audit Items Tab 3-G
INFORMATION: Budget and Accounting System Conversion Tab 3-H
DISCUSSION/ACTION: New Board Rules and Rule Changes Needed as Tab 3-I
a Result of Legislation
INFORMATION: Finance Committee Requests for Data Tab 3-J
Law and Licensing Committee
Basement West Conference Room
ACTION: R277-490 Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program Tab 3-K
ACTION: Procedures for Distributing New Money for the Professional Tab 3-L
Outreach Program for the Schools
ACTION: Approval of New Charter School Applications for 2016-2017 Tab 3-M
Time Certain: 6:00 – DISCUSSION/ACTION: USOE Chief Privacy Officer and Tab 3-N
HB 68 Student Privacy Study
ACTION: Charter Amendment Request from Freedom Preparatory Tab 3-O
ACTION: R277-520 Appropriate Licensing and Assignment of Teachers Tab 3-P
(Continuation and Amendment)
ACTION: R277-502 Educator Licensing and Data Retention (Amendment)Tab 3-Q
ACTION: R277-410 Accreditation of Schools (Amendment and Tab 3-R
ACTION: R277-419-6 Pupil Accounting–High School Completion Status Tab 3-S
DISCUSSION: Framework for R277-419-9 Pupil Accounting – Provisions for Tab 3-T
Maintaining Student Membership and Enrollment Documentation and
Documentation of Student Education Services Provided by Third Party
DISCUSSION/ACTION: New Board Rules and Rule Changes Needed as a Tab 3-U
Result of Legislation
Standards and Assessment Committee
ACTION: Release of Grades 6-8 Science Standards Draft for 90-day Tab 3-V
Time Certain: 6:00 – ACTION: R277-404 Requirement for Assessment for Tab 3-W
Student Achievement (Amendment)
ACTION: Release K-5 Library Media Standards Draft for 90-day Tab 3-X
ACTION: Standards Review Committee Recommendations for Physical Tab 3-Y
ACTION: Standards Review Committee Recommendations for Secondary Tab 3-Z
ACTION: Standards Review Committee Recommendations for Fine Arts Tab 3-AA
INFORMATION: FFY 2013 IDEA Part B Annual Performance (APR) and Tab 3-BB
State Systemic Improvement Plan (SSIP)
DISCUSSION/ACTION: New Board Rules and Rule Changes Needed as a Tab 3-CC
Result of Legislation
Friday, April 10, 2015
8:00 a.m. to 8:15 a.m.
4. Opening Business
• Pledge of Allegiance
• Board Member Message
• Introduction of New Employees
• Acknowledgment of Student Artwork
8:15 a.m. to 8:25 a.m.
8:25 a.m. to 8:35 a.m.
6. Public Participation/Comment
Priority shall be given to those individuals or groups, who, prior to the day of the meeting, have submitted a request to address the Board. Sign up is available the day of the meeting before 8:00 a.m.
8:35 a.m. to 8:40 a.m.
7. ACTION: Approval of Appointments to the Utah State Office of Rehabilitation
8:40 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.
8. ACTION: General Consent Calendar (backup furnished electronically at Tab 8
8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
9. INFORMATION/ACTION: Report from North Sanpete School Board
9:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
10. INFORMATION: Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind Quarterly Report Tab 10
9:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
11. DISCUSSION: 2015 Legislative Session Tab 11
• Legislative Appropriations Review – USOE and USOR
• Legislative Bill Review
11:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
12. ACTION: Board Audit Committee Report
11:45 p.m. to 11:55 p.m.
13. ACTION: Utah Professional Practices Advisory Commission Cases Tab 13
11:55 p.m. to 12:30 p.m
12:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
14. ACTION: Committee Reports
• Finance Committee
• Law and Licensing Committee
• Standards and Assessment Committee
1:30 p.m. to 1:50 p.m.
15. INFORMATION: Update on Educator Effectiveness Tab 15
1:50 p.m. to 2:05 p.m.
16. INFORMATION: Superintendent’s Report
• Risk Mitigation Plan Tab 16
2:05 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
17. INFORMATION: Board Chair’s Report
2:15 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
18. INFORMATION: Board Member Closing Comments
2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
19. EXECUTIVE SESSION
3:30 p.m. to 3:40 p.m.
20. ACTION: Executive Session Items
• UPPAC Cases