Abuse prevention groups invited to apply as approved elementary school providers
A review committee organized by the Utah State Board of Education is now accepting applications from providers interested in helping to implement House Bill 286 Child Sexual Abuse Prevention in public schools across the state.
The application will include a brief presentation, and providers are now invited to sign up for a time to present their material. Reviews will take place on March 31 and April 12 at the Utah State Office of Education in Salt Lake City. To set up an appointment, contact Amanda Charlesworth firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-538-7640.
House Bill 286, scheduled to be fully implemented in schools in 2016, requires the following actions:
- Requires that the Board, in partnership with the Department of Human Services, approve instructional materials for child sexual abuse prevention.
- Requires local education agencies (LEAs) to use the instructional materials approved by the Board to provide child sexual abuse prevention and awareness training and instruction of school personnel and the parents/guardians of elementary school students.
- Provides that a school district or charter school may provide child sexual abuse prevention and awareness instruction to elementary school students, subject to certain requirements.
The Utah State Board of Education approved the guidelines for instructional materials for child sexual abuse prevention. Those minimum guidelines were developed with help from multiple state agencies, prevention advocates, and other experts in the field. Minimum guidelines can be found here.
In November 2015, the Board approved the list of providers for child sexual abuse prevention instruction materials as presented. The approved providers are:
- Youth – Lauren’s Kids, Prevent Child Abuse Utah
- Youth Serving Adults – Darkness to Light, Prevent Child Abuse Utah
- Parents and Guardians – Darkness to Light, Prevent Child Abuse Utah
A review committee will evaluate potential providers materials again this spring. We hope to add additional providers to the list above. Please contact Amanda Charlesworth (Amanda.email@example.com or 801-538-7640) to set up an appointment.